When faced with a fill-in-the-blank statement of “I am a _____”… What’s YOUR answer?
I am… a writer, an explorer, a coffee-drinker, a recovering addict, a barefoot linguist, a book-dragon (“bookworm” doesn’t cover it), a raconteur, a sailboat skipper, a research diver, a tattooed scholar, a pirate, a poet, a spiritual adventurer, a photographer, a cartographer, a joyful wife, a mom, an island-girl at heart… A list-maker! :)
And pleased to meet you! :) Kana
If you’d like to email, me, feel free to use this auto-form:
Kana’s Curriculum Vitae
Boise State University
- Master of Fine Arts, English (Creative Writing, Poetry)
- Secondary Teaching Certification: English, biology, chemistry, natural science, physical science
University of Hawai’i at Hilo
- Marine Option Certificate (18-credit research program in marine biology)
- NAUI Research Diver certification
University of Idaho, Cum Laude
- Bachelor of Science, Zoology
- Bachelor of Arts, English
- UI Honors Certificate (30-credit program of Honors courses)
- National Merit Scholarship, David English Scholarship, University of Idaho Honors Scholarship, Presidential Scholarship, Idaho Young Woman of the Year Scholarship
- 2018-Present: Manager, Pendleton KOA
- 2017-2018: Service Desk Associate, The Home Depot
- 2011-2018: Freelance Writer.
- BikerCraze (contributing writer)
- WesternByways magazine (field writer)
- Quality Communication Solutions (senior staff writer, Media & Communication Director)
- 2009-2010, 2013-2014: Kana Girl’s Hawai’ian BBQ. Owner & Manager.
- 2011: Idaho Department of Parks and Recreation. Seasonal employee, Eagle Island State Park.
- 2002-2008: Idaho Digital Learning Academy. Director of Curriculum & Instruction. Advanced Placement Biology & English teacher. Professional Development Specialist. English Department Chair. Science Department Chair.
- 2001-2003: Folk Photo. Proprietor & Photographer.
- 1999-2001: Girl Scouts of Silver Sage Council. Program Specialist.
- 1997-1999: Owyhee Plaza Grill. Head Waitress, supervisor & trainer.
- 1994-1997: Dr. R.F. Rosenzweig’s Microbiology Lab, University of Idaho. Lab Technician.
- 1993-1995: The Argonaut. News Reporter.
Consulting & Contract Work
- Course Reviewer, Colorado Online Learning
- Adjunct Faculty, Northwest Nazarene University (Teacher Education)
- Adjunct Faculty, Boise State University (English)
- Adjunct Faculty, College of Southern Idaho (Biology)
- National Standards for Quality Online Learning Institutions Committee (North American Council for Online Learning), 2008
- College Board Assembly Delegate, 2008
- Advanced Online Learning Conference Committee (Virtual High School Global Consortium), 2008
- Teacher Leaders Network, inducted 2007
- Virtual Schools Symposium Program Committee, 2007 & 2008
- National Standards for Quality Online Teaching Committee (NACOL), 2007
- Chair, RFP Review Committee (Virtual Schools Symposium), 2007 & 2008
- Teacher Webinar Project (NACOL), 2007
Presentations, Panels, & Webinars
- “Evaluating and Improving Online Courses,” Virtual Schools Symposium, Phoenix AZ 2008.
- “Supporting Students in Online and Blended Classrooms,” Advancing Online Learning Conference, Nashua NH, 2008.
- “Instructional Models and Programs,” Advancing Online Learning Conference, Nashua NH, 2008.
- “Online Options for Gifted Students,” Edufest, Boise ID, 2008.
- “New Approaches to Online Science,” Advancing Online Learning Conference, Nashua NH, 2008.
- “Professional Development in Online Programs,” North American Council for Online Learning (NACOL) Western Committee (national webconference), 2008.
- “Course Design for Online Delivery: Reaching Rural Populations,” USDA Economic Council, Boise ID 2008.
- “Creating Community in the Online Classroom,” NACOL Teacher Talk, national Webinar series, 2008.
- “Fitting Additional Math and Science into Middle/High School Schedules, “Idaho Association of Secondary School Principals Annual Meeting, Boise ID, 2008.
- “Idaho’s Online Secondary School,” guest lecture at College of Idaho, Twin Falls ID, 2007.
- “Implementing Authentic Science Labs in the Virtual Classroom,” Virtual Schools Symposium, Louisville KY, 2007.
- “Applied Research in Online K-12 Learning,” Virtual Schools Symposium, Louisville KY, 2007.
- “Collaborative Course Development Models,” Virtual Schools Symposium, Louisville KY, 2007.
- “IDLA: A State Resource Expanding Districts’ Options,” District Administrators Annual Meeting, Pocatello ID, 2007.
- “Enhance your School Toolbox with Idaho’s Multi-Tool: a State Resource to Expand Your Options for Serving Secondary Students,” Whole Teacher, Whole Child Conference, Idaho Falls ID, 2007.
- “In-District Options for Action Strategies: An Array of Secondary Resources Targeting Student Proficiency in Multiple Areas,” Federal Program Directors Meeting, Boise ID, 2007.
- “Online Advanced Placement Orientation: Facilitating a Preparatory Session for AP Students,” AP College Board Annual Conference, Las Vegas NV, 2007.
- “Effective Communication & Intervention Strategies with Online Students,” Professional Development class taught online for university (NNU) credit, 2007.
- “IDLA: Exanding Schools’ Options,” Idaho Middle Schools Conference, Meridian ID, 2007.
- “IDLA: Update 2007,” Idaho Senate Education Committee and Idaho House Education Committee, Boise ID 2007.
- “Supporting the Online Instructor: Best Practices in Teacher-Training, Community Building, and Professional Development Online,” Virtual Schools Symposium, Plano TX, 2006.
- “Online Learning Opportunities,” Title I Special Populations Conference, Boise ID, 2005.
- “Creating Standards: A Statewide Initiative,” Virtual Schools Symposium, Denver CO, 2005.
- “Girls on Film: Photography Skills to Improve Your Event Photos,” Association of Girl Scout Executive Staff Northwest, Richland WA, 2001.
Journalism & Publications
- “Freelancing Boundaries (…or ‘This Righting isn’t Write!’)” InkPageant, August 2012
- “A Learning-Journey Toward Valuing My Gender… And Those Who Share It,” Emmie Mears, February 2012.
- “Travel Writing: Our ‘Pirate Code’ for the Road,” Clan Elves of the Bitterroots, October 2011.
- “Silver City, Idaho: The ‘Ghost Town’ that Never Gave Up the Ghost,” Western Byways, September 2011.
- “Rescue Diver,” Slippery When Wet, April 2011.
- “In the Market for a Maker,” Wagon Wheel, March 2011.
- “Idaho Digital Learning Academy,” chapter of a NACOL-sponsored book on virtual education (2009).
- Book Review, “Principals Who Learn,” National Teacher Leaders Network, Sep 2007
- 2006 Editorial Board Member, Ahsahta Press, Boise ID.
- “Connective Tissue”–2006 thesis for Master of Fine Arts, Boise State University.
- Poetry published in Joy of the Journey, Expressions, Cabin Fever, Anarchist Angel, WordSalad, Pathetic Poet Society, Poesie, SheMom, Eternal Portraits, and Standing: Poetry by Idaho Women.
- Photographs published in Girl Scout Leader national magazine, Moscow-Pullman Daily News, St. Alphonsus Foundation Report to the Community, publicity materials for Family Advocate Program and Girl Scouts of Silver Sage Council.
- Associate Editor, The Sound of What?, 2002.
- News Reporter, The Argonaut, 1993-1995.
Volunteer Work & Community Service
- Boise Rescue Mission (City Lights Women’s & Children’s Shelter), 2011
- Ada County Jail (clergy visits), 2011-Present
- Alcoholics Anonymous, 2008-present
- March of Dimes, 2004-2008. Youth Leader, Idaho Chapter. NICU Action Committee. Founder of the Idaho NICU Photo Project.
- St. Alphonsus Neonatal Intensive Care Unit, 2004-2008. Parent Support Group. NICU Photo Project.
- North Boise Little League, 2006-2007. T-ball coach and team manager.
- St. Mary’s Catholic Church, 2006-2008. Youth Education, Music Ministry.
- Family Advocate Program, 2003-2010. Event photographer.
- Girl Scouts USA, 2003-2010. Board of Directors, Inland Empire Girl Scout Council, 1990-1991. Inland Empire Day Camp Director, 1991. Workshops, event support. Girl Scout Gold Award. “Thanks” Award for Service.
- Hagerman Fossil Beds, 1999. Exhuming fossils.
- Discover Center of Idaho, 1997-1999, 2009. Delivering Science Curriculum.
- Gritman Memorial Hospital, 1990-1993. Patient Care.
Additional Credentials & Licensing
- Ordained Minister, Universal Life Church
- NAUI Research Diver
- PADI Advanced Diver
- ASA Sailboat Skipper (certified in Basic Keelboat, Coastal Cruising, Bareboat Charter, and Navigation.)