Keoni & me in California this month with our three oldest grandkids: Annalia, Keoni, & Leland

I’ve been keeping journals since I was six years old. That first diary is a real gem, with one-sentence entries like: “Today I went crazy and thawt I was a frog.” I wish I remembered the story behind that…  The trouble with keeping journals, though, has always been the fact that when you have the most material to write about, that’s just the time when you have the least time in which to write it!

Traveling is a perfect example. Just when you’re experiencing the most new things that you’d like to record, you’re too busy experiencing them to write about them. So my junior-high journal records every detail of school days—even though I had 180 of those every year that were almost exactly alike—but it just hit the highlights of the weeks my parents took us to Europe.

For the last couple years this blog has replaced my journal, and that same principle applies to the last couple months. More stuff has happened in the six weeks since I last wrote than in the whole previous year when I was writing near-daily posts about whimsical every-day stuff… We’ve had momentous events and joyful events and serious events and exciting events.

baby grandsons

our newest grandsons: me with Jacob (son of Keoni-the-younger) and Keoni-the-elder with Dominic (Kawika’s son)

Three of our kids had birthdays (hey, that’s a big deal when you’re under-eighteen!), two of our kids had new babies, one of our kids got married… The child who hasn’t spoken to us for a year since we “practiced tough love” and asked him to move out is talking to us again. (Yes, it’s because he wanted something from us. But—here’s progress—he’s still talking to us even though he didn’t get the thing he wanted.) We’ve been busy preparing for the opening of our restaurant. Keoni is recovering from two major surgeries (spine and knee replacement). Not one, but three in-family “feuds” have come to happy ends—the aforementioned son is back in our lives, my ex-husband and I are enjoying cordial communication after five years of near-war, and Keoni made peace with an uncle who’d been holding a grudge.  And some deeper currents that maybe won’t be up for public consumption (because it’s not just about me—and as open as I’m willing to be about myself, its not my call to make that choice for other people just because they happen to be in my family)… But with all that going on, I haven’t made the time at the keyboard.

Hawaiian wedding

our daughter Anelahikialani and her new wife, Sarah (and “Pastor Kana” presiding)

And… I miss it. So here I am again. But now there’s the second conundrum: when you’ve gotten behind and have a whole lot to say, it’s hard to figure out where to start or what to catch up on first… I guess I just have to remind myself that I won’t cover it all in a single post. Rather than trying to tackle all that today, I’ll just get the ball rolling with one funny little “small-world” story.

My A.A. Sponsor, Shannon, takes a trip to Mexico every year, to an off-the-beaten-path spot, and she has gotten to know some of the local folks (she attends A.A. meetings while she’s there) as well as some of the other visitors who come there regularly as she does. When she got back from her annual trip this year, she called me up with a story. She’d been chatting with one of her friends down there, another U.S. citizen who visits every year, and the topic of talk had turned to writing. The friend is a writer, and Shannon mentioned that she had a sponsee who’s also a writer. When she referred to me by name, her friend exclaimed, “Not ‘Kana’s Chronicles‘!” Turns out she’s a reader here. Is this a small world or what? :)

When I started out “journaling” here, I didn’t expect any readers aside from my husband and my parents—but I’ve come to love the connectedness of our community. And I’ve missed it over these last couple months! I have reading to catch up on, as well as writing—but I’d like to think I’m back. And clearly I have a lot of story-telling to get on with! Thanks to all of you who make it a PLEASURE to write here. I love you guys.

23 thoughts on “The Diarist’s Conundrum, & a Story About Community

1. Clare says:

Believe me, you have been missed! So glad that you have many new stories to share.

2. restlessjo says:

Sounds like a lot of things going right for you, Kana. Welcome back.

3. Good to hear from you again, Kana.

4. Ella Grey says:

I was thinking of you today. I’m glad to see that you’re alright and your life is filled with blessings.

5. I was so excited when I saw you posted! Welcome back Kana!! (SIng that to Welcome Back Kotter!) ;)

Very excited to hear how your beautiful family has been.

Gorgeous babies, welcome to the world!

6. Sounds like you folks have been busy! I’ve been keeping a regular journal since my teens. They’re very therapeutic. Any time I get frustrated or depressed, I turn to my journal and feel the pressure lift off me almost immediately. Keep writing!

7. Mary Ann says:

Long time no see! Glad to hear that things are going well for you. Sometimes life gets so busy, doesn’t it? Looking forward to hearing more from you on the fun events in your life. :-)

It’s good to hear from you again. Sounds like your life has been full of good busy-ness. Congratulations on the adorable new additions to your family!

9. Great to see you back, Kana. I greatly identify with this same conundrum.

Missed you … great to hear of so many wonderful things happening in your life … so, glad you’re back! … special shout-out to your daughter and her new wife – (officiated by you. How cool is that!!!) – WGT!

11. So great to see you again. And it sounds like lots of things are coming up roses, or leis, or something wonderful. xxoo (Shannon’s friend from Mexico:)

AHA! I thought it was you–I just wasn’t 100% sure… (She just said “Mother,” so there were a few possible candidates…) Isn’t Shannon just the most delightful? (Well, I’m biased–she’s helped saved my life! No exaggeration.) I’m glad to know. :)

12. I’ve missed you too. Glad things are going well.

13. chavisory says:

I was just starting to wonder where you’d gotten to! Glad to hear things are going so well! Congrats on all the things!

14. Wow, this year is not even three months old and you’ve packed so much in — and you’re opening a restaurant next month. I feel winded just reading your post!

15. In all honesty, I have been a really REALLY bad blog follower. So – I feel a TINY bit better that you haven’t been writing. That makes me total absence for a really long time a bit shorter since I can take away the time you didn’t write.

On that note…it’s good to be back and CONGRATS on all the exciting stuff!!!

Can’t wait to read about more.

16. I wondered where you’d got to. But I can see that LIFE has taken over. Look forward to reading your catch ups

17. so true what you say about an interesting life being too busy to journal (or blog) about!

18. So nice to hear you’re back Kana. I love reading your posts because you always seem to be smiling. At least that’s what I pickup between the lines.

My, what a whirlwind New Year you’re having.

19. Sandy Sue says:

We miss you when you’re gone. Can’t wait to hear all the stories!

20. So glad to hear of the many happy happenings in your life of late. If you ever find a solution to the conundrum, please share, as we all suffer from it. ;-)

21. You and Keoni seem to have an immense joy emanating from each of you. I pray it will never be robbed again…it is beautiful!

22. Phil Gayle_For Singles and Couples says:

Hi Kana,
    It’s good to posts by proud and loving parents/grandparents such as yourself.
    I hear being a grand parent is even more rewarding, yet to find that out and hopefully not for some time.
    I find myself in a similar position, wanting to write more posts but living life, being an active dad and writing the book is taking up so much time.
    Thanks for sharing.