If you don’t do your blogging from an iPad, there’s one thing you might not realize about your WordPress blog. The “default settings” on your blog are programmed to send iPad viewers to a specialized “mobile view” of your blog called OnSwipe–and (speaking as an uber-frustrated iPad reader-of-blogs) the OnSwipe view is CRAP.

So I just wanted to take a moment to highlight the disadvantage to YOU, the blogger, of having your blog viewed in the OnSwipe format–and beg you to change your settings (also for the sake of ME, the reader).

• This is the "beautiful app-like experience" touted by WordPress for iPad viewers. (screen-photo of jennswondering.wordpress.com--hilarious post, btw)

The OnSwipe view is completely stripped of the theme you’ve used to personalize your blog. It shows the text and photos of your post against a white background. None of the theme design, none of your side-bar links, none of the options to visit your “about you” page… Nothing at all but your words on a white page. (Seriously, WordPress? If we wanted our work to look like that, we’d just be posting our word-processing documents…)

• Maybe of more concern to you (although the first point irritates me to no end) is the fact that there’s no option for an OnSwipe viewer to “like” a post or “follow” your blog. Nope, none. I can not follow your blog from the OnSwipe mobile view.
  • To do anything beyond read the bare text of your post, I have to scroll all the way to the bottom of the post (waiting for all the pictures and text to load), click on a link to “View Standard Site,” and then wait for the REAL blog to post in its all its wonderful technicolor personality. Yay! Only then can I use your navigational links, see your stats and profile, “like” a post, or “follow” your blog.

Why WordPress thought this mobile theme was a great idea, I can’t begin to imagine.  They bill it as “a beautiful app-like experience”… Pure.Bull.Malarkey.  I’ve already registered my complaints thoughts with WordPress, and I’ve already gotten my answer: OnSwipe is here to stay… Though they said they’ll take into consideration my plea suggestion that, if nothing else, they could give us, as individual readers, a chance to choose whether the blogs we view will load in OnSwipe or Standard view…

But since that hasn’t happened so far, I figure there’s one thing I CAN do, and that is to beg all of you, my readers (whose blogs I READ!) to take pity on me and please PLEASE take the two minutes to change your blog settings so your readers can go directly to the “real” version of your blog.  (Instructions below–I even made pretty pictures for you–it’s super-easy!)

I promise you, I’ll be doing a little happy-dance every time I open a blog and find it’s NOT taking me to the crap-ola white-page of an OnSwipe view.  (I also have this funny little feeling that other bloggers might like to KNOW that their default settings are preventing people from “liking” their posts or “following” their blogs… If you wanna spread the word…)  Thanks in advance to all of you, for making my blog-reading less frustrating!

How to disable the icky mobile settings: Click on “Appearance” at the left of your Dashboard.

1) Pick “Mobile,” select “No,” click update.

2) Pick “iPad,” UNcheck the box, click save.

And if you’d like to let other bloggers know how their posts are getting viewed by iPadders…

94 thoughts on “Blogger Call to Action: Please Help Me Happy-Dance

1. I find it funny that we both use the words “icky” and “seriously?” — often

2. Sara says:

Ýeesh, I had no idea. I’ll get that fixed immediately. Thanks for this!

3. CJ says:

Ickiness duly removed and Twittersphere educated. Thanks Kana!

4. Chatter Master says:

Did it. I think…. :)

Yes, you did–thank you! :)

5. Fixed it! I have no iPad, so had no clue.

6. getbusyyall says:

Thanks! Will change.

Occupy Word Press!

7. Texasjune says:

Hmm, on my WordPress theme, I don’t have an Appearance button for Mobile?? If I find one, I’ll change it!

I wonder if you have a differently configured dashboard with your new domain name?? I have no idea, but that might be it… :)

In any case, I’m happy to report that YOUR site shows up without the OnSwipe business… Maybe another advantage of the new domain. ;)

8. Thank you. I have changed it and passed it on.

9. Changes made, and letting others know. ;-)

[I’m happy-dancing!! My cat now officially thinks I’m a demented, capering idiot…]

11. trailblazer1 says:

Done deal . . . enjoy your iPad.

12. The Bus Driver says:

Ta-da! BTW I think all cats think we’re all demented. :)

13. Actually when the swipe view comes up..at the bottom it says standard view and I click on that. I post regularly from my iPad and will check the settings…Thanks!,

True–in cases where you’re starting from the “swipe view” (which is pretty much the equivalent of starting from the home page), you at least don’t have to scroll down to get to the “Standard View” link. When you’re directed to a specific post, though (which is most often how I arrive there, as links to people’s posts show up in my inbox) it goes straight to the white-page where you have to scroll down to get to that same link. And either way, I’m always going straight for that link (sounds like you do too?) rather than trying to view in OnSwipe, so I’d rather skip the OnSwipe experience altogether. ;)

14. samshine20 says:

Thanks for the info (and the instructions!). Changes made… no more moblie/Ipad icky-ness! Hooray!

15. holy buckets! – ok so i have to admit it took me 5, not 2 minutes to change my settings – but phew! i have been trying to figure out how to get rid of the ipad icky-ness. some of my pictures made it kind of fun, but by and large it was annoying

i’ll do the happy dance with you :)

thanks for posting!

16. Done. Not having an iPad, I had no idea. Like so many WP things I don’t understand, I’ll add this to my list and try to spread the word.

17. Gillian Colbert says:

Add me for your happy dance … thanks for the heads up.

18. Done! question tho…I had all kinds of options before I unchecked the box to pick a photo andfont and color that the ipad user would see…..It still doesn’t solve the like and follow etc isssue but is it based on the theme you have for your blog? I unchecked them but I was just wondering?

REALLY good question! The short answer, I believe, is “no”–selecting those options doesn’t actually import any of the elements of your theme (except, I suppose, that you could match a font type)… The “customized” choices you can make for the iPad view are simply the font style, the headline color (“accent color,” I think they call it) for that blank white page, and the “cover photo,” which is what people will see first if they go to your blog’s home address (as opposed to following a link to a specific post). I’m sure that “cover” was meant to be a flashy design-element, but all it REALLY does is add yet another swipe-and-wait step before I can get to the “good stuff” that is THE POST. :) Whew, how’s that for a long answer? Hope I made sense…

19. Mickey Mills says:

Done… Onswipe wasn’t enabled but mobile was. Now it looks much better on the Droid.

20. storymultiverse says:

Done and done.

21. corey9 says:

Thank you for letting us know!! My iPad setting was not checked so that was good but it was good to check anyways. *happy feet going wild*

22. Sunshine says:

Done and done! Hey Kana, WordPress wanted to make sure you stay busy and your mind razor sharp…. :))
    Thanks!

23. Sunshine says:

Sunshine reblogged this on Simply Charming and commented: Great information sent from fellow blogger at Kana’s Notebook. I hope you take a few minutes and fix your “default settings” and pass it on to your readers….Thanks!

24. Eryn Wong says:

Done that! Thanks a lot! I never know I can actually change that!

25. Ohhh thank you~ I had no idea (of course) since I dont have an ipad – all fixed though! Thanks so much for such helpful information!

26. AAAAAAAAAAAAND done. I use all windows based machines, even my cellphone is windows based (I like to understand the evil I’m using) I had no idea there was such a crap setting. Thankf or the info.

27. Ship's Cook says:

Both done, happy dance away

28. D.J. Lutz says:

Done (I think) and thanks for the scoop. Let me know if I did it correctly; I will definitely post a link on my site to spread the word! Commence happy dance!
    Oh, and about the “cat now officially thinks I’m a demented, capering idiot” part. It has been my experience that cats have always thought that about their staff, I mean owners…

29. Thanks for the tip – I’m off to do this now. Jacqueline

30. Charley McKelvy says:

Thanks for the alert. I’ll change my settings as per your recommendation. Who knew? Charley McKelvy

31. philsrogers says:

Thanks. I’ve changed my settings. Phil

Thanks for the tip!

33. Beth Parker says:

Done & Done. Thanks, Kana! I had no idea!

34. Beth Parker says:

Oh, and have a good happy dance! I am a big fan of those! :)

35. Alex & Jacey says:

Done! I had no idea there were any sort of default settings for that. Thanks for blogging about it.

36. Hmmm… I never WordPress did that, been as I don’t have an ipod, but I’ve changed it now. Feel waaaaaaaaay better. I can be seen, woo!

37. rosellezubey says:

Kana-You are really brilliant! Thank you so much for sharing that info with me. I wondered what happened to my theme and now, thanks to you, I know. It really isn’t right to apply that app without our permission or consent. There are people who don’t have or use a mobile device. Now I know why so many people don’t use wordpress. Take care, Kana! rosellezubey

38. rooandnate says:

Done. As another iPad reader, that was driving me absolutely insane. I’m so glad that there’s an option to disable that crap.

39. ashazenzi says:

thanks for this! 1 of my whopping 5 blog readers told me this very thing. she reads my blog from her iPad and wanted me to know that she loves me but her device doesn’t give her the option to “like” me.

40. Thank you for this!!! Sooo helpful!

41. Beth says:

Great, clear directions! Settings adjusted. I noticed the on swipe when viewing on my iPad, but like many others had not poked around with the settings to see what was root cause. Happy reading on your mobile devices, Kana.

42. millie winks says:

Done! I don’t think I have any other readers than you, in general, or who use an ipad, but I changed it anyway. Gotta keep the public (you) happy!

43. Maggie L R says:

changing mine…

44. I love my ipad and HATE OnSwipe. Thanks for this post!

45. restlessjo says:

Bit of a technophobe but trying to learn painlessly so thanks for this. Followed idiotproof instructions in less than 2mins- hooray!

46. Interestingly, I love the iPad theme that my WordPress provides. It’s pretty sweet, although a few of the images come out kind of funky. I find it much more enjoyable to read on a tablet than on a PC.

Well, go figure–I just finished telling the WordPress “Happiness Engineer” (who’s responding to the buzz) that I hadn’t yet met an iPad user who preferred the OnSwipe view to the Standard–so you’re a First. ;) I’m curious, then–why DO you like it, specifically?

47. caridwen says:

I’ve been following a wonderful blog (maturestudenthanginginthere) and she passed on your tips concerning mobile users this morning – I’m so glad she did, because now I’ve discovered another blog and blogger I can relate to, get behind, and thoroughly enjoy reading! Adding you to the blogs I follow now. :o)

48. I learn something useful, thank you!
    robert

49. Caroline says:

Thank you – and I’ve passed on your link

50. Harnew says:

I found your blog via link. I just updated the ipad and mobile versions. I have no iPad, so, I have no way of knowing how it is presented. Thanks!

51. eof737 says:

Highly informative… Thank you for the heads up! ;-)

52. Old 454 says:

Done, if a few days late. I never would’ve known. I use a third-party browser on my phone, and am never on (the Queen’s ipad). Thanks.

53. Tess Kann says:

Good catch! I don’t use either device but will make the changes you suggested. Thanks.

54. I think I did it, and I shared with others!

55. Rose says:

Done. WordPress is my modern day mystery, so I’m glad you took the time to enlighten us.

56. Miss Edee says:

didn’t realize… and DONE!! almost forgot, actually, until i saw your post thanking peeps who had done it. i thought “oopsie!” hope that helps :)

57. lolabees says:

Thanks, Kana. I just noticed this feature this morning. Thanks for the tips. I will pass it on!

58. Gizmo Wizz says:

Hey there – thanks for the clear instructions helping me to rid my work of the scrambled mess that is called “OnSwipe.” And, if you should know how a guy could do the same with the new gallery “Carousel” that is equally blog-destructive, I’d really appreciate the tip.

59. Sharon says:

I had no clue. Thanks for the info!

60. Thanks for the tip, I’ve made the changes.

61. lesliehobson says:

Done and done. Thank you!

62. Lynna Clark says:

Am I pretty yet? I am so unsavvy!

You’re beautiful! (and so is your blog) Thank you! :)

63. Thanks for checking out my blog, and I fixed all the settings on my post… thanks for pointing this out! Very helpful instructions for those of us who are, um, well, a bit technologically impaired. :-/

Done! … thanks for the heads up … reading through your archives … a wonderful way to while away the late evening.

65. Mission accomplished! Thanks!!

66. Thank you! I hadn’t realized any of these things. I’m ticked off at wordpress for making me think that special views for these devices would be in my readers with those devices’ (and my) best interests. I just changed the settings. Thanks again!

67. rubysongbird says:

Done! Sorry it took me so long to get around to it!

68. gkinnard says:

Hi Kana! Thanks for the info–esp. the photo instructions! I don’t use and ipad, so I had no idea about this. Please let me know if my site looks right now. Thanks again!

Perfect! :)

69. Yes, it drove me nuts, too! My cousin was the only one who seemed pleased with it. But I think it’s because he was so excited about his iPad. I told him I wasn’t changing it back.

70. Kate Kresse says:

thanks for the guidance! i think i did it right…

You DID, yay! :)

72. Changed it now, but the settings looked a little bit different than on your screenshots, so I would appreciate it if anyone with an ipad would have a quick look and tell me if it’s ok or not :)

Score! It’s perfect. :)
      Maybe I need to upgrade my screenshots? WordPress has probably made some changes since I posted this… ;)

1. Don’t worry, the changes aren’t major. Thanks for checking!

73. Heidi says:

Please check mine (I have no ipad) and see if I did it right. I will share this with others when I know. Mine came up a bit differently, but I have to hand it to you…very clear instructions! Let me know and I’ll change the other blogs I administrate as well. Thank you for this! You’re right. It matters.

Beautiful! Worked perfectly! :)
      I suspect the dashboard has changed since I took these screenshots last Fall–maybe I’d better update the instructions! But I’m glad they got you through anyway. :)

74. Coyote says:

Not sure if mine is okay I could not find the Ipad thing to uncheck.
    Would you please check it. well if you can.

Thanks

I believe WordPress (FINALLY) changed the “default” setting so this process isn’t necessary–but I’ll double check the iPad view of yours. :)