“Don’t stay in bed, unless you can make money in bed.” ~George Burns

5:00 a.m.--Suzy hits "snooze"

Burns probably had another profession in mind when he dropped that quip, but thanks to the invention of the internet and the laptop, I do get to make money from bed… as a freelance writer. And as a bonus, every day is take-your-kitty-to-work day!

Today was a pretty typical work-day for myself and my “staff” (Suzy-cat, that is).  With 10,000 words due at noon, I could have gotten started yesterday when I was sent the assignment, but instead I spent the evening on enjoyable sidetracks–writing about Peeing Trees and reading Artemis Fowl and watching the fourth Pirates of the Caribbean movie which arrived from Netflix and…  well, stuff that wasn’t writing-for-deadline.

Tabbing Tabby

So I set my phone for a 5 a.m performance of MercyMe’s “You Reign” to get me going with an early start.  (It takes some wicked Smashmatics at times, but I don’t miss writing deadlines).  Snoozy Suzy didn’t even stir a whisker from her perch atop my hubby’s tummy, but I got up, poured my first mug of coffee, and climbed back under the quilts, armed with my keyboard and caffeine.

After an hour or so, Suzy made the “commute” across the few inches of comforter to give me a hand paw with the typing, and between the two of us we got ten thousand words sent in by deadline.  I can’t even say I mind the early start, since I didn’t really have to get up to go to work.  Purring all around!

34 thoughts on “In Which my ‘Tab’ Key Becomes a ‘Tabby’ Key

“A paw in time saves nine” – old cat proverb.

2. granbee says:

Kana, I totally fell in love with your tabby tabbing! Yes, this is definitely the way to avoid angst meeting a 10,000 word, same-day deadline!

3. Chatter Master says:

What a wonderful way to work…. *sigh*

4. Ship's Cook says:

Sadly Cleopatra’s help is seldom as useful

5. I have feline writers who help me, too. We are truly
    lucky humans!

6. Sharon says:

Feeling incredibly jealous. I think working from home may be in my future.

7. Karen Syed says:

Well, I will agree that working from home does have its advantages. Although, there was one “commuting” accident that involved my face and a rather rudely placed wall–not sure why they put that wall right next to the door, seems like bad planning for the morning.

I am jealous of those of you who have the extra assistance, even if they are paws…then again, everyone needs pawsitive reinforcements.

K

8. Talk to me...I'm your Mother says:

Ah, I feel a kindred spirit out there as I type this with my laptop tilted against my knees and three pillows behind my head. I just haven’t yet gone for the coffee…and I’m decaffed. xxoo

9. murphyjoel says:

Consider yourself lucky; our cat prefers to drape himself across the keyboard.

10. Love your Suzy-cat! But please tell me you already had a start on those 10,000 words and didn’t draft and revise them ALL in seven hours? *eyes wide with awe*

This is why it’s a little ironic that I didn’t “win” NaNoWriMo… I average 5K words per day, 10K is about the top limit I’ll commit to–but with all of November to “play” in, I only got about 3K of FICTION written. I just don’t think that’s my gig. ;)

1. It takes me DAYS to write a 650 word article (with sources and quotes,) and that’s after doing it at least once a month for two and half years. Maybe non-fiction isn’t MY gig…I bow to you!

Cats are always so willing to help!

12. CJ says:

Kana – I’m in a state of amazement that you can churn out 10,000 (no doubt high quality) words before breakfast and write so prodigiously on your blog too. How do you do it? – CJ

Well, not before breakfast–before lunch. ;) It’s just my innate “chatterbox” personality channeled at the keyboard. ;)

13. What IS it with cats and keyboards! Mine does that too.

14. Ah, yes the joys of being a full-time freelance writer working from home. My cat doesn’t help with the typing unfortunatly. Prue just likes to sit in my lap and dig her needle sharp claws into my thighs, while purring incessantly, which is really more of a distraction than an assistance. I admire your focus and ability to get 10,000 words down in a morning. I need to get up to that kind of speed.

15. Nicole Marie says:

Such a cute kitty! And yes – amazing ability, to get those 10,000 words out so quickly. Jealous. :)

16. magsx2 says:

Hi,
    You have the best office in town, and great work mates. :)

17. You are, my dear, what they call prolific. I hate you. No, I envy you. You are much too sweet and likeable to ever hate. Besides how could I do anything, but adore the creater of this blog.

18. Keoni da Kook says:

Aloha Kako’u, With all due respect to Suzy, your quote of George Burns has aroused my curiosity. Should I consider changing my signature line to “Keoni Da Literary Pimp”?

Just so long as YOUR curiosity doesn’t kill the cat, My Love ;) I don’t imagine there are many Husbands who are as happy as you to say their wives make money in bed…

19. judithatwood says:

Your job sounds ideal, but I’m afraid I would snooze through the writing time and miss deadlines. My staff, (Cassie the talking cat,) has to live with my mom, but I visit whenever I can. She always gives me moral support.

I receive your posts in the email, but when I click on the name of the post, or on comments, I get ‘page not found, try Searching.’ Does this happen to others, do you know? Thanks — I love your writing!

My hubby also gets the email alerts (as if he didn’t already have the alert of my regular bounce-and-hit-”Post” routine, accompanied by the announcement that “there’s a little something to read now”) and he just alerted me to that problem as well… I’ll play with my settings and would appreciate feedback on whether the problem gets resolved! Thanks for the heads-up. :)

20. frandi says:

I am also an author and writer working from home and my cats are my muses-I couldn’t do without their wisdom and companionship. Like many writers, I’m a bit of a recluse. Cleo loves sitting in the ‘in tray’ near my lap top, and Zak sits up on the desk occasionally running across the keys if he thinks my writing isn’t purrfect!

21. Tess Kann says:

My oh my. Ten thousand words from 5:00 am till noon. Even with two felines, I wouldn’t be up for the task. I take way too much time “changing my mind” and rewriting.

My hat’s off to you.

22. emmiemears says:

Ooh, the kitteh. :) I want one. My mom used to leave the gibberish whenever our cats walked across her keyboard, so it would look something like this:

pnm,uycveszxqa

“Kiki says hi.”

23. Corri says:

Well, that doesn’t sound appealing at all! :P No much rather take the 1 hr + commute :)

24. Kristina says:

Sounds sooo good… I wish I had this option this morning after our work Christmas party last night! :) But I got sleep a bit longer! I guess it’s better than nothing! :D

25. I love the insight in your process! I myself tend to end up on the coach when I do freelance gigs!

26. End up on the couch*. I rarely end up on a coach while writing, only if I’m really pushing a deadline to the fullest, haha :)

And here I was enjoying the image of a poetic goblin whipping up the team of horses tearing down the road with coach in tow… ;)

27. The Bus Driver says:

Ten THOUSAND words? Holy smokin’ keyboard, Batman, no wonder you need kitty’s help! I also have feline “help” but he only helps with the procrastination part. He’s Siamese so when he comes and demands things, he’s hard to ignore.

28. Sometimes my kitty sits on the desk beside me and keeps me company while I faff on the internet. But, echoing previous folks, 10K words? I’d have had a heart attack. It took me 2 months to write a 6K operational manual.